Defensive Landscape Features
We were approached by Laybourne Parish Council to secure access to a site in the village where previous measures to keep out trespassers had failed. The challenge was to create an unobtrusive, inexpensive, no-maintenance and permanent solution that would nevertheless allow access for maintenance vehicles.
- Researched the maximum height difference trailers can traverse
- Commissioned a swept path analysis to determine the smallest possible turning circle of vehicles with trailers, and one for the client’s maintenance vehicle
- Based on the data, we designed an internally armoured, raised knoll feature covered in grass, installed in sections at the front of the property, to prevent trespassing
- We designed a chicane to allow barrier free, permanent access for the maintenance vehicle that cannot be accessed by trailers
- We designed a planting scheme to make this an attractive landscaping feature.
Since this install, the council have had no further attempt to access the site, which has translated into an average £30K savings per year on costs relating to legal and sanitation services for this particular site. We have now rolled out the system under our Securascape brand to include street furniture and other attractive features into the catalogue of stealth access restriction for vulnerable sites.